Diskuzní klub hráčů online her
Home | Profile | Novy ucet | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Star Wars Galaxies - An Empire Divided
 SWG - Chapters and Updates
 Appearance Tab FAQ, Proposal, and Discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robiwan

1035 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:40:05  Show Profile  Send robiwan an ICQ Message Send robiwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Appearance Tab FAQ, Proposal, and Discussion

Hey guys,

There has been a lot of discussion in GPD about the appearance tab and I'm seeing a lot of the same concerns/questions/false information. I wanted to take a second to clear up a few of the common questions, lay out how I currently plan to have appearance work, and then open the floor for discussion. I'd also like to keep the blunt of appearance tab discussion in this thread so I can review it all in one easy location. This means I'll probably have Valara start locking any other appearance threads and redirect people to this topic. So if you have a comment/question/concern please post it here and I promise you I'll read it (even if I don't have time to respond). Before we begin, let me just add the following disclaimer: Nothing regarding the appearance tab has nailed down/finalized. This is all preliminary discussion and EVERYTHING(including actually adding the appearance tab to SWG) is subject to change.

What, exactly, does the appearance tab do?

The appearance tab simply allows you to equip items that will not influence your current stats. It allows you to wear items simply for show. Here's a quick example:

Let's say my guy has a set of Marauder armor, like so:

I really like the stats, but I'm tired of how I look. Maybe I want to use my old Chitin set? Well, the appearance tab will allow me to do that without lowering my stats.

I can even mix and match! Again, without altering my stats.

Throughout all these changes my stats never fluctuate because I never changed my "real" set of armor. I'm simply changing how people view my character.

That's appearance in a nutshell.

Appearance FAQ:

• Do I need to have both sets of armor (my real armor and the armor I wish to use for my appearance) in my inventory?
- Yes. I realize people already have issues with inventory size so maybe we could make a backpack specifically for your appearance items, but I'd have to chat with design about that.

• Will appearance be disabled during Restuss and other PvP situations were knowing the opponents armor matters?
- I'm open to this idea but I don't have any real decision yet. On one hand I understand some hardcore PvPers can recite armor stats just by seeing the model of that armor and really don't want to be lead astray by the appearance a player is using. On the other hand, if I take a lot of time setting up my appearance and it's gone half the time just because I enjoy PvP, then I might be upset that all my work is basically going to waste.

• How will this affect tailors and armorsmiths?
- Positively, I hope. Appearance gives people a reason to own more custom armor/clothes without worry of destroying their stats. This also gives our designers the option to create "appearance only" items. Items that are completely useless beyond anything but customizing the look of your player.

• Will species/profession restrictions apply to the appearance tab?
- Yes. If you can't wear it now, you won't be able to wear it if/when appearance tab is introduced.

• What about players who will just run around in hot pants?
- This can't happen. If you don't have an item assigned as appearance then it uses your real armor. So, unless you are really running around naked - you won't be able to wear only hot pants and have any protection what so ever.

• So, what if I want to I want to wear an outfit but hide my gloves since they don't match my outfit? Appearance won't let me do this by default, it would just use my real gloves!
- Currently, yes. But it MIGHT be possible to add basically invisible appearance only items that allow you to hide certain aspects of your outfit that you don't want to show through. Again, I say might because this is a slippery slope. We don't want players running around half naked through cities. This is something we'd just have to play with and see through testing and feedback.

• EverQuest 2 has a level restriction on their appearance tab. Will SWG have a similar level restriction?
- Undecided. Currently I'm leaning towards no level restriction.

• If the appearance tab is approved, when will it be in-game?
- There is currently no time-line for adding the appearance tab.

• Will appearance tab be a tab?
- This is undecided as well. I'm leaning towards a radial menu option for just speed of rapid prototyping, but I know Blixtev and a few others want a true tab.

Discussion

Okay, that's it! Please keep all discussion civil. I'd like to keep this thread open and have a nice exchange of ideas. I will be reading and I'll try to reply as much as possible.

AdeptStrain

I have waited and planned and built my strength for fifteen thousand years. I have evolved. It is time.
(Omnius Evermind)
---------------------------
Feyd'Rautha Saresh (Medic, Rebel Alliance, Europe-Chimaera), Robe Saresh (Force Sensitive, Rebel Alliance, Europe-Chimaera)

robiwan

1035 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:40:44  Show Profile  Send robiwan an ICQ Message Send robiwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Otazky a odpovede:

Q: Adept, here is my question.

Say a Jedi is wearing his new Jedi cloak, but would like to go simple with his design. For instance, say I want to appear wearing an outfit that includes my Rebel Ace jacket and Rebel longsleeved shirt. Would the armor and regular stats from the cloak and my clothing still apply with just the appearance of the Ace jacket and so on?

A: In theory, yes. Cloaks are such a weird system in SWG that I'm not sure how they would behave - it's going to be one of my first tests in my research. However, they SHOULD be over written(graphically) by the jacket and long sleeved shirt.

Q: What about arm and chest armor? For example, my character normally runs around in striped pants, boots, a headwrap, and a black ubese armor undershirt. I'm not running around nekkid by any means, but would my chest armor and biceps/bracers still show up?

A: Yes, unless you had one of the theoretical "invisible" appearance items.

Q: This also poses the even more complicated question of "How will a Jedi who wants the stats from the darkside Cloak of Hate be able to change it's appearance to the lightside Shatterpoint Cloak?"

I ask this because I would personally prefer the Precision stats from the Cloak of Hate, but I like the looks of the Shatterpoint Cloak. The issue we run into with this is the fact that it is a "No Two Cloaks" in your personal inventory item...

A: If you cannot currently have the item in your inventory then you wouldn't be able to set it as appearance. Since you can't have both the Shatterpoint and Cloak of Hate in your inventory, you wouldn't be able to substitute the appearance of one for the other.

Q: As a side note, It really isn't nice using armor that isn't available on live for your screenshots.

A: Hahaha. I just grabbed the first two sets I saw on the dev frogs. Sorry about that. SMILEY:)

Q: would it be possible with the appearance tab to layer clothes that we normally wouldnt be able to? kind of like the respec npc, the fleshwrap and the extremely revealing skirt, etc? If it were possible, i think it would open a ton of different clothing options

A: If the NPCs can do it then there's a chance I can add it, but for right now I think it would work exactly like clothing does now. So if you can't layer it currently, you wouldn't be able to layer it in v1.0 of the system. Just depends on the feedback and if there is enough demand for such an ability.

Q: I must say this is one of the best ideas I have seen in a long long time. Two quick questions is there any way to set it up to where we could also select the color of items from the appearance tab? Also on that note is there still any work being done with the idea of dye kits for armor?

A: 1.) Changing the color on the fly? No. If the item was crafted to be green, then you can't change it to red. You would need a red version for your appearance. Again, I want to give people reasons to visit their local tailor/armorsmith.

2.) No idea, not my department. SMILEY:)

Q: Can I ask a question about "Appearance Clothing", will it have to be in your inventory permanantly in order to have that appearance or will it be a case of you can use it and remove it from your inventory, but once you overwrite it the previous appearance is gone?

I ask because inventory space is precious for my Jedi and Trader and to have appearance clothing taking up inventory space does not appeal to me.

A: You must have the item in your inventory as long as you want to use that appearance. I do know inventory space is precious and we might be able to do a "bag of holding" for appearance related items.

I'm going to answer ArkonPhoenix's essay (*shake fist*) next, then head out for some lunch. I'll keep my eye on the thread and reply when I get time between meetings and, you know, work.

Q: Please note that this is my personal feedback and not that of the Jedi community.

• It would be great if we could hide certain items/slots like the gloves and cloak slots. Without having to put on an item in their place just to hide the original item. Basically I want to wear a shirt for the top half only, no jacket, vest, or cloak. So maybe to avoid players from running around naked, make it that only the shirt and pant slots must be filled at all times, but everything else can be hidden if one chooses?
• Currently the /showbackpack command will hide backpacks, but not bandoliers, even though they use the same slot. Any chance on making this command work for bandoliers too?
• Will we be able to visually equip the SE Goggles while we have a hat hidden underneath?
• Any chance True Black can be added to the list of color choices for Tailors and Armorsmiths?
• And lastly if people can turn off my appearance, then yes I will feel like I went though all this work for nothing. So if anything, let them /examine players to see the true armor, but keep their appearance active everywhere else.

Thank you,

-AP

A: *deep breath*

Annnddd let's start.

1.) That entails some giant toggle system for every slot on your character, as well as the UI to display those toggles. With appearance I'm trying to keep it simple. The more complex the system gets, the less likely it is to get implemented.
2.) I can look into this one.
3.) Not sure.
4.) What a random question that has nothing to do with appearance tab. :p No idea.
5.) I'll keep this suggestion in mind. It might be a nice compromise to the PvP situation.

Okay, food time.

Q: Glad to see this finally in one thread instead of twenty different conversations.

AS, correct me if I'm wrong but anything that would normally be granted by an item designated as 'appearance' would no longer be granted right? And example being a pair of pants with three +35's or the Micro Sensory Gloves that provide a buff. Neither effect would kick in if they're equipped as 'appearance'.

On a side note, for those still worrying about hot pants, like AS said, if you equip them, they're only going to replace the leggings section of your armor. The chestplate, helmet and all the rest will still be visible. If you want hot pants and only hot pants then your going to have to only have hot pants with no resistances. Its simply not possible.

A: Okay, one last post before lunch because this is an important question.

You are correct. Neither buff would kick in if that item were attached as an appearance item. Appearance items have absolutely 0 effects on your stats. They are for visual purposes only.

Q: Currently to wear/remove an item you can either double click on it, open a radial and select 'Equip'/'Unequip', or drag the item into a hotkey and activate the hotkey.

How would this process change with two possible dress modes (equipped vs appearance)?

Would a drag/drop functionality be added for one mode or the other? Would a new radial option be added for "Add/Remove from Appearance"? Will double clicking or hotkeys still work for one mode or the other? If so, would it be set to only one mode or would you be able to toggle which mode these work for?

Thanks.

A: A lot of that is up for debate. Adding an item to your toolbar would equip an item normally and not through appearance. We may be able to work out a / command so people can make macros for different appearance sets.

I think a new radial option ("Equip Appearance" ) makes sense. A hotkey combination (SHIFT + Doubleclick for example) for equipping appearance items probably makes sense as well.

Q: Would it be possible to do something that would look like this:

i.e. have appearance items highlighted as though they where equipped, but using a slightly different colour (in the picture the red items would be used for apearance while the green ones are the normal equipped ones) Hopefully this way you could leaveage the parts of the current equip code that stop and equiped item taking up inventory space, and it makes it convient to see what is being used from your inventory.

A: Yea, I plan to have the item have a special background color if it is a currently equipped appearance item.

I have waited and planned and built my strength for fifteen thousand years. I have evolved. It is time.
(Omnius Evermind)
---------------------------
Feyd'Rautha Saresh (Medic, Rebel Alliance, Europe-Chimaera), Robe Saresh (Force Sensitive, Rebel Alliance, Europe-Chimaera)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diskuzní klub hráčů online her © © 2000 CzechHeroes Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,06 seconds. on eygor Snitz Forums 2000